Friday 9 December 2011

Time Out Dress


In my mind this blog has been written many times.  Many entries, much discussion.  Annoyingly the writing has happened when on walks or sitting in the car during school pick-up.  But here it is in the flesh. 
And it starts with a sword.  I’ll tell the origin story of the Matt Coyle Clothes another time, but for now here is an introduction to the Time Out Dress.  It’s a funny thing to introduce as I haven’t even done the mock-up (or the toile) yet, but it’s so clear in my mind I partly think, why aren’t people already wearing it?  
There's always that deadly space between inspiration and action isn't there.
                                                                         ©Matt Coyle 2010
Time Out dress is for day and night.  It’s knee-length, probably sleeveless, off white with black/grey Matt Coyle images.  The back has the Time Out picture, and seeing that picture for the first time made me covert one of Matt’s pictures more than any other.  Ironically we still don’t have a Time Out in the house, but one day…
I was worried that the dress would be all back, with no connection to the front.  I needed a little image for the front, but I didn’t want a kind of stamp collection tattooed dress. 
So that’s where the sword comes in.  This sword (a plastic toy really) features in another of Matt’s drawings, held by the doll featured in Time Out (we call this doll Anna Pushkin).  Something about Anna Pushkin’s hooded top makes me think of Joan of Arc.  Who doesn’t love a soldier-inspired piece of clothing?  And especially a medieval holy soldier in disguise?  I also watched the whole first series of Game of Thrones last month and oh, the soldiers, the fur…  
So many meanings, such a little plastic sword.  I imagine it will be about 4 inches long and will sit on the top left or right side of the dress like a printed broach.
                                                                             ©Matt Coyle 2011
This is the sword hot off the press.  Look Ma, pencil marks!  There’s something also a little bit nun-like about having a t-shaped image on the top of a dress.  Or nursey.  A holy, feminine warrior.  Heck, I have been watching too much tv (how unusual).

No comments:

Post a Comment